Director, Technical Product Management (AI)
Director, Technical Product Management (Analytics)
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
BlackSky is looking for a Director, Technical Product Management (Analytics) with extensive direct experience in the technical development of artificial intelligence (AI) models, the needs and workflows of rastered geospatial data analysts, and the capture of government programs. In this role you will define BlackSky’s analytics roadmap and partner with Engineering, Global Services, Marketing, and Sales to convert that roadmap from idea to high-margin revenue. Your roadmap will be driven by your direct collaboration with key customers, your technical and financial analysis of their problems along with their possible solutions, and your judgement in discerning signal from noise. The analytics you define will empower BlackSky’s customers to monitor and understand their most critical assets, locations, and operations at a quantity, frequency, and timeliness that vastly exceeds any existing or historical remote sensing data provider.
The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in AI and data exploitation across multiple phenomenologies, has leveraged that technical expertise to define winning solutions to government RFPs, and is excited to build a vibrant analytics business centered on serious problems for serious customers. This position will report into the Vice President, Product.
BlackSky currently has offices in Seattle (WA), Herndon (VA), and Albuquerque (NM). This position is eligible to work from any of BlackSky’s offices or remote from one of the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington State, and West Virginia.
- Build a thriving, ever-expanding, and high-margin analytics segment by defining and delivering analytics products that solve scalable customer problems.
- Engage with key customers to understand their mission needs, strategic direction, structural incentives, and purchasing mechanics; use this information to ensure that BlackSky products are impactful, cutting edge, purchasable, and usable.
- Define and evolve the analytics roadmap in partnership with Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Finance, and Global Services to unlock the value of ultra-high revisit monitoring and tactical ISR from space.
- Define winning technical and price combinations for critical opportunities in partnership with Engineering, Finance, Sales, and Programs.
- Drive increasing margins into analytics products through effective cross-functional communication, operational efficiency, and compelling value-added services.
- Support the evolution of efficient and agile product management, development, sustainment, and end-of-life processes.
- Support Marketing to build compelling sales tools/narratives for analytics products.
- Support Engineering to define, build, test, validate, and sustain analytics products.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or the physical sciences.
- At least 10 years of experience working in either a scientific, engineering, or technical product management role focused on the exploitation/analysis of rastered data.
- Experience in the analysis and exploitation of satellite imagery.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly.
- Comfortable with a common scripting and data analysis language (eg Python).
- Prior experience with government procurement and capture process (both defining the technical solution and pricing it).
- Experience bringing analytic products and solutions to markets/customers.
- Proven track record of translating customer problems into high-margin revenue through scalable solutions.
- Eligible to obtain and maintain a US security clearance.
- Experience with the exploitation of SAR data.
- Experience with Multi-Int fusion.
- Experience as a data scientist, computer vision algorithm developer, and/or AI/ML model developer.
- Familiarity with space architectures.
- Experience working with domestic and international government customers.
- Advanced/graduate degree in a relevant field.
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
- Familiarity with the challenges of rapidly & accurately analyzing large data volumes.
- Familiarity with a common cloud environment (eg AWS, GCP, Azure).
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $200,000 -$220,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: