Engineer I/Engineer II - Digital Design
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer I/Engineer II - Digital Design
What You'll Do:
- Design digital hardware for defense-oriented, cutting-edge electronic systems. Assignments include design architectures utilizing FPGAs, microprocessors, soft-core processors, digital filters, RF processing algorithms, and high speed SERDES communication interfaces/protocols like XAUI, PCI Express, and Ethernet for communication and data processing.
- Work in a fast-paced team environment on a variety of R&D, proof of concept, and production programs.
- Digital system partitioning and advanced function implementation in FPGAs.
- Design and implement test fixtures including test plans for both chip-level and board level environments and create reusable circuits that can be utilized across multiple projects.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Engineer I - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Engineer II - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Strong electronic circuit design, hardware debugging, and electronic systems background.
- Experience in design, documentation, and implementation of high-speed digital electronics, FPGAs, and embedded processor systems.
- Familiarity and experience with high-speed protocols such as Ethernet, PCI Express, SERDES, and LVDS.
- Familiarity and experience with implementing SRAM, SDRAM (DDR2/DDR3) and flash memory hardware interfaces.
- Excellent board design skills for high-speed design, worst case analysis, digital timing analysis, and simulations
- Experience in developing specifications, cost, schedule, and resource requirements for digital designs.
- Ability to work requirements and flow down for system/subsystem/box/board/component needs.
- Experience with cybersecurity topics/techniques is a plus.
- Experience designing with low voltage switching power regulators and power conditioning circuits is a plus.
- Familiarity with OrCAD CIS for schematic design, and HyperLynx for SI/PI analysis is a plus.
- Expertise in VHDL/Verilog, System Verilog and OVM/UVM, and Modelsim/Questa simulator is a plus.
- Space or military design experience highly desired, but not required.
- Good communication skills, as well as presentation skills.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A security clearance or access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position. However, the applicant must be willing and eligible for submission, depending on program requirements, after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEER I: $91,500 - $113,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEER II: $111,000 - $137,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.