Model Maker and Hardware Specialist II/III
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Strategic Operations (StratOps) Strategic Capabilities Unit, consists of Washington DC Operations, Marketing & Communications and Strategic Development. The StratOps team promotes and elevates the business within our markets, works with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of Ball Aerospace and facilitates collaboration across the business enterprise to increase opportunities.
Model Maker and Hardware Specialist II/III
Ball Aerospace is seeking a Model Maker and Hardware Specialist II/III to join our Marketing & Communications department. As part of Ball Aerospace’s Model Shop, this position will focus on designing and creating highly complex, scaled technical parts, products, and models; producing and assembling engineering and flight hardware; developing a wide variety of materials for documents, posters, awards; and mating and framing artwork.
The Marketing & Communications Department works collaboratively across Ball Aerospace and our stakeholder community to increase our profile in the market.
What You’ll Do:
- Use a dry mount press and mat cutting equipment to create framed artwork for company facilities, awards and other requested products.
- Work with large format printers and laminators to support making signs, posters and banners.
- Produce technically-accurate, high-quality models and mockups of company products and programs to support engineering production, external marketing and customer requests leveraging skills in mathematics, manufacturing design, and graphic design.
- Manufacture complex prototypes, manufacturing test articles and engineering and flight parts according to engineering and customer standards and specifications, providing input and recommendations for improving design as needed.
- Design, create and support prototype and test production using 3D printing.
- Fabricate cut-outs, jigs, fixtures, or other solutions for accurate and repeatable manufacturing processes.
- Read and interpret shop orders to fulfill technically accurate laser engraving and shop order requests.
- Review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings, specifications, and procedures for completeness and compliance to requirements.
- Perform detail-oriented, complex finishing work, such as painting, to ensure models and hardware meet the highest standards of accuracy and professionalism.
- Participate in maintenance of the shop area and equipment to keep the area clean, orderly and safe.
- Maintain and safely operate a variety of Model Shop equipment and hand and power tools, such as saws, milling machines, drill press, laser engravers, 3-D printers and more, to machine and fabricate parts.
- Maintain relationships with current and potential supplier and vendors and coordinates with Repro/Model Shop supervisor to order material and supplies.
- Provide training and support to lower-level Model Maker and Hardware Specialists.
- Maintain knowledge of a variety of material types and preparing these materials for machining.
- Adhere to company branding guidelines and assure work developed meets corporate and department publication standards.
- Work collaboratively with other Model Maker and Hardware Specialists, as well as designers, engineers and outside resources to solve complex problems.
- Demonstrate high-caliber customer service capabilities in support of business objectives.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Model Maker and Hardware Specialist II – High School diploma or equivalent plus 4 years or more related experience.
- Model Maker and Hardware Specialist III – High School diploma or equivalent plus 6 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Demonstrated experience in graphic arts, manufacturing, design, sculpting, engineering or print production.
- Ability to quickly learn new skills, new products or technical knowledge.
- Exceptional graphic arts skills.
- Experience with matting and framing.
- Exceptional mechanical and spatial awareness.
- Knowledge of the 3D printing process, including formatting 3D files ready for print.
- Experience with large format print production.
- Experience interpreting schematics, drawings, specifications, and procedures for completeness and compliance to requirements.
- Experience working under brand guidelines.
- Attention to detail, organized and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to engage with technically minded subject matter experts, grasp key concepts, and analyze and distill information into technically accurate, understandable visual representations.
- Ability to problem solve and work in ambiguity.
- Embracing of diverse and inclusive environments.
- Experience with and the ability to collaborate and coordinate with individuals and teams at all levels, including senior-level executives.
- Ability to work multiple projects simultaneously, under deadline pressure with fast turnarounds.
- Ability to work well with people as well as independently, and with little or no supervision after initial briefing.
- Ability to maintain a predictable work schedule with occasional flexibility for evening or weekend work to meet deadlines, as needed.
- Knowledge of multiple power tools, including lathe, drills, sanders, bandsaw, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, Planner, SharePoint, Project and Outlook.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience with SolidWorks, Blendr or other 3D modeling software preferred.
- General interest in science and technology is preferred.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
A security clearance or access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position. However, the applicant must be willing and eligible for submission, depending on program requirements, after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR MODEL MAKER AND HARDWARE SPECIALIST II: $25.48 - $34.62 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR MODEL MAKER AND HARDWARE SPECIALIST III: $30.77 - $41.83 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.