Engineer Senior/Engineer Principal - Ground Software
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Advanced Technology & Information Solutions Strategic Business Unit provides scientific, engineering and other experts that work with our customers to solve their hardest problems and advance state-of-the-art technology. Our data solutions professionals deliver enterprise processing, analytics, exploitation and management, as well as information technology hardware that provide actionable information for warfighters and decision makers. In addition, our subject matter experts provide world-class technology and operational insight that help organizations advance the boundaries of knowledge and accomplish their missions.
Engineer Senior/Engineer Principal – Ground Software
Ball Aerospace partners with multiple defense and intelligence organizations to modernize their mission critical systems. We are focused on solving our customer’s hardest problems and share a strong commitment to the missions we enable. We are looking for innovators, problem solvers, leaders, and team players who further our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence. In this position, you will enable our customers to stay ahead of rapidly evolving threats to national security in the space domain by building ground systems that are secure, resilient, and scalable using traditional and cloud-native technologies and agile software development methods.
Your software development talents will contribute to leading edge capabilities supporting the use of space assets to protect and defend our Nation. We seek technically savvy individuals who enjoy problem solving and are committed to providing excellence in service to our team and customer. You will build software systems that combine deep scientific understanding with the most modern implementations, providing capabilities to enhance operator performance.
We work from our office to move fast, eliminating many of the constraints of working in customer facilities. If you are an action-oriented engineer with intellectual curiosity and excited to see how you can make a real difference with your talents, we want to talk with you. Don’t settle for average. Join our team in our quest to Go Beyond® for our country.
What You'll Do:
- Work with customer and team members to understand project requirements and scope.
- Perform full software life cycle functions including software requirements, architecture, design, code, test, integration, and documentation.
- Design/develop/modify software using Java, C++, Python, or C# in a Kubernetes environment.
- Develop software within the defined Agile process.
- Use a DevSecvOps software development pipeline, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve the performance of existing or new software services.
- Design and implement cloud-computing infrastructures and data processing architectures.
- Oversee, coordinate, and lead technical activities to design, develop, and maintain intelligence community software systems.
- Support engineering activities on one or multiple programs of varying complexity.
- Contribute to proposal development (strategies, management, writing, reviews) to successfully capture new defense and intelligence business, particularly in the ground processing functional area.
- Collaborate with employees and customers at all levels.
- Research current and emerging technologies and incorporate them into system architectures.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Engineer Senior - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Engineer Principal - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science preferred.
- A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
- 8 or more years professional experience in software development and/or software architecture preferred.
- Experience with one or more modern programing languages such as Java, Python, C++, or C#.
- Experience with agile software development processes.
- Working knowledge of container orchestration and microservices design and implementation.
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts and challenges to technical and non-technical audience.
- Excellent communication skills through formal and informal presentations and documentation.
- Hands-on experience with one or more commercial cloud services such as AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.
- Experience with distributed computing and large-scale systems.
- Experience with IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS technologies.
- Experience designing and implementing event-driven architectures.
- Experience with databases and data storage technologies including Relational databases, NoSQL databases, columnar databases, key/value stores, etc.
- Experience using DevSecOps pipelines to develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve software performance.
- Proven ability writing test scripts for test driven development in an agile software development environment, where building in automated test procedures alongside functional code is paramount to continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) of software.
- Experience leading proposal activities for DoD or IC including strong technical writing skills.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEER SENIOR: $137,500 - $173,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEER PRINCIPAL: $154,000 - $194,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.