Industrial Engineer Senior / Principal
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Operations Strategic Capabilities Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from strategic capital investments, industrial operations and an efficient supply chain, to state-of-the-art manufacturing and test operations and top-notch facilities management.
Industrial Engineer Senior / Industrial Engineer Principal
At Ball Aerospace’s Westminster Colorado location, we develop and manufacture state of the art RF & sensor technologies that are integrated onto tactical missile and aircraft platforms. If you’d like to join our rapidly growing operations team in a mission to help the warfighter, this could be an ideal role for you. This Industrial Engineer role will report into our Manufacturing & Test Operations team and support activities within our Aerospace manufacturing Center located in Westminster, CO. This is a challenging and dynamic role that includes value stream analysis, simulation modeling, project management, and facilities planning. This opportunity requires a results driven individual, with passion for continuous improvement, and experience applying Lean Manufacturing tools.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform various analysis of the value stream ensuring proper layouts, material flows, and available capacity enabling successful program execution.
- Use simulation software to identify current value stream constraints as well as the effects of business growth on factory capacity.
- Support the value stream team by improving workcell layouts, implementing and improving Kanban’s, driving material handling solutions, and performing various data analysis.
- Forecast and plan development & manufacturing growth including floorspace, equipment capacity, tooling, and technicians required to meet quantities and schedules.
- Perform a broad range of analysis including queueing, DOE’s, production planning and control, SMED, time study, value stream mapping, process flow diagrams, FMEA, quality function deployment, etc.
- Execute capital projects from analysis/problem definition to requirements gathering/equipment selection, thru installation/validation.
- Engage and report to senior operational and engineering leaders, team members, and stakeholders to gain alignment on implementation plans and success metrics.
- Maintain an intense focus and continuous presence where the work is performed. Take daily Gemba walks, go and see to gather the facts, and develop a deep and thorough understanding of the process and facts.
- Influence others with a Lean coaching approach (respect for people, “go and see” behavior, put problems first, and continuously intensify collaboration).
- Be accountable, drive accountability within the organization, and put problems first with a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Industrial Engineer Senior – BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Industrial Engineer Principal – BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A proven Industrial Engineering skillset that demonstrates a strong aptitude for simulation modeling, queueing analysis, value stream analysis, and project management.
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma experience.
- A creative approach to problem solving and an appetite for experimentation.
- A problem-solving endurance that persists in the wake of initial setbacks.
- Experience aligning and influencing fellow employees without direct functional responsibilities.
- Excellent presentation skills to communicate with senior leadership.
- An innate mentality that seeks dynamic gains over static optimizations.
- A strong focus on the horizontal flow of value across several supporting organizations.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading projects and/or teams.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration, recognition of individuals strengths and areas for improvement, and an ability to manage misalignment between individuals and/or groups.
- Experience with SQL / VQL preferred.
- Experience with R or Python preferred.
- System thinking mindset for approach to work & solutions.
- Knowledge of system dynamics preferred.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use is illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A DoD Interim Secret clearance will be required to start work and required to be maintained to continue work. Higher level clearance or access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position. However, the applicant must be willing and eligible for submission, depending on program requirements, after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER SENIOR: $121,500 - $153,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER PRINCIPAL: $135,000 - $171,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.