Engineering Manager I / Engineering Manager II - Configuration & Data Management Department Manager
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineering Manager I / Engineering Manager II – Configuration & Data Management Department Manager
Join the Mission & Space Vehicle (M&SV) Engineering Team at Ball Aerospace - a diverse group of motivated problem solvers. We like to have fun and enjoy life - both at work, and in our free time. We're excited about the challenging projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities at all levels of skill and experience, we're looking for leaders and innovators who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence, while helping to define the future of Ball.
We are seeking a proven successful people-leader with extensive knowledge and experience with Configuration & Data Management (C&DM) within the Aerospace Industry. This person will set C&DM policy and effectively implement C&DM practices across our Engineering Organization and the programs supported by Engineering. In addition, this person will lead the C&DM Team through the digital eco-system transformation and mature the C&DM department into a go-to team for C&DM best practices.
This position reports to the Director of the M&SV Organization.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop relevant and effective C&DM Policy, through a thorough understanding of the C&DM discipline, industry practices, and by developing an understanding of the Engineering Organization environment and associated responsibilities to support program and business development execution across Ball Aerospace.
- Provide people leadership and technical direction to the C&DM Team by exhibiting behaviors aligned with the tenants of Ball’s Inspire, Connect, and Achieve (ICA) leadership model. The behaviors would include a unifying vision, understanding the diverse needs of others to meet business challenges and acting with humility and a collaborative spirit.
- Contribute at the Engineering Leadership level and at the C&DM implementation level to formulate strategies and create implementation plans for the Engineering Digital Ecosystem Transformation effort, which is to move from a document-based to a model-base engineering paradigm.
- Lead the C&DM team and collaborate across organizations to implement flexible C&DM practices
- Successfully work in the classified and unclassified work environments.
- Successfully lead and manage the C&DM Team through change and growth, both capabilities and capacity, to achieve the business goals.
- Lead, manage, and mature a collaborative and highly skilled C&DM Team and community across the Engineering Organization.
- Make C&DM a first thought when proposal teams are being kicked-off.
- Establish, develop, and maintain strong relationships with Engineering peers, internal stakeholders, and external customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Engineering Manager I – BS/BA in related field plus 10 years or more related experience.
- Engineering Manager II – BS/BA in related field plus 12 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- 6 years or more of leading and managing people.
- Expertise and passion to modernize Configuration Management for a digital ecosystem.
- Demonstrated success in leading teams through process and application change.
- Demonstrated success as a collaborative team lead and cross-team community builder.
- Configuration Management industry certification is preferred.
- Experience in space-based systems or ground-based systems is preferred.
- Experience in both unclassified and classified arenas is preferred.
- Ability to be self-motivated and detail oriented.
- Possess strong critical thinking skills
- Drive for results and executional excellence.
- Must be comfortable interacting with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Comfortable operating at a fast pace.
- Organizational skills.
- Budgeting/cost estimating experience.
- Solid customer service, accountability, professionalism, and interpersonal skill set.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Commitment to creating an inclusive environment where all employees can thrive.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEERING MANAGER I: $139,500 - $193,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEERING MANAGER II: $157,500 - $216,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.) Subject to business performance and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in an incentive compensation plan.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?