Satellite Ground Systems Engineer I / Satellite Ground Systems Engineer II
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI CI Polygraph security clearance is required.
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Satellite Ground Systems Engineer I / Satellite Ground Systems Engineer II
Operations Systems Engineer in support of requirements, design, analysis, test and operation of space vehicles and ground systems for commercial, DoD and NASA customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Mission design of ground system.
- Establish customer needs and develop them into Business/Technical Requirements, establishing scope budget and schedule parameters to execute projects.
- Manage ground system development and subcontracts for software and hardware integration.
- Face-to-face interaction with customers and contractors to respond to requests for information, support to technical meetings, technical interchanges and enterprise working groups.
- Assist with leading a collaborative team comprised of systems engineers, I&T engineers, Transition team members, and operators as appropriate.
- Prepare and maintain CDRLs and tracking Action Items.
- Support to operational validation of releases, database maintenance, user administration, investigation of system anomalies and the raising, tracking and regression testing of Anomaly Reports. Support to Operational anomalies can and will exceed business hours.
- Assist with the creation of operational documentation (Mission Operations Products), training material, and the constant review of training efficiencies.
- Assist with enterprise level testing during operational demonstrations and system requirement verification sell offs with customer.
- Provide training to Spacecraft Engineers and Online Operations Engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Satellite Ground Systems Engineer I – BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Satellite Ground Systems Engineer II – BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active TS/SCI CI Polygraph security clearance is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ground systems for spacecraft operations.
- Solid System engineering / SEIT skills.
- Experience supporting system engineering of ground systems development efforts including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Experience with Software Development Plans and Software Standards.
- Knowledge of systems engineering roles and functions, including operations concept development, requirements management, functional analysis, interface definition and control, synthesis, and/or verification and validation.
- Experience in mission management, flight dynamics, or command & control domains.
- Ability to quickly come up to speed on technical and management efforts currently underway.
- Knowledge of related disciplines in software engineering, hardware engineering, integration, test engineering, quality engineering, configuration/data management.
- Experience in developing specifications, design and analysis, documentation, and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong written communication skills, oral presentation skills, and an ability to lead group discussions.
- Effectiveness in working with people at all levels and with outside customers, able and willing to contribute wherever and however needed, provide leadership and guidance to program activities and staff.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR SATELLITE GROUND SYSTEMS ENGINEER I: $88,500 - $109,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR SATELLITE GROUND SYSTEMS ENGINEER II: $108,000 - $133,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.