Deputy Program Manager, Extravehicular Activity (EVA) Program
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Deputy Program Manager, Extravehicular (EVA) Program who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology, and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position reports to the Vice President, EVA/Human Spaceflight Mobility (HSM) Program Manager
- Serves as the secondary contract manager and is authorized to interface with the executive Extravehicular Activity (EVA) and Human Surface Mobility (HSM) Program, Government Contracting Officer (CO), the Contracting Officer's Representative (COR), and government management personnel and customer agency representatives.
- Ensures compliance with terms of the contract, task orders, and with government and company policies, standards, and procedures and ensures that contract and Task Order deliverables are submitted accurately and on time
- Ensures that the work performed is at a level of quality, schedule, and cost that is consistent with the expectations for the company and customers.
- Coordinates and monitors the safety, technical performance, and program cost.
- Aids in leading program support efforts for contract design milestone strategy and implementation and ensure successful milestone completion.
- Directs the work of managers and employees and ensures efficient utilization and availability of staff.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of complex tasks and develop solutions to program problems
- Promotes staff morale through proper compensation, training, and career development
- Coordinates monthly business rhythms to monitor and report schedule, budget, and risks for a highly complex EVA design, development test and evaluation (DDT&E) program
- Aids in leading facility development needs and ensure infrastructure and personnel in place to support maintenance and operations, planning and development, security, and transportation needs.
- Travel will be required as part of this role.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- 15+ years’ experience as Program Manager or Deputy Program Manager supporting government contracts or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- Experience in managing government contracts with multiple contract types and established customer relationships
- Bachelor of Science degree in a related field
- Demonstrated experience managing technical teams in a dynamic operational environment
- Demonstrated strong stakeholder engagement skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop exceptional customer/partner relationships
- Strong consensus building and team building skills
- Demonstrated Risk/Opportunity management
- Experience with DDT&E and delivery of spaceflight hardware
- Understanding of Agile Development Process
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Well versed in Program Management principles
- Familiar with NASA flight hardware certification process and agile processes and methodologies
- Strong prioritization skills for managing complex program product backlog to a milestone drive schedule.
- Ability to develop presentations on demand and produce quality results.
- Flexible in an environment of constantly changing requirements and work well within a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.