Supplier Quality Engineer (Mechanical Components and Mechanisms)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We are well-funded by some of the best investors in the business and have raised over $400 million to date. We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
As a Supplier Quality Engineer, you will be tasked with a unique challenge to drive to ZERO defects and scale Astranis production at suppliers as we build our satellite manufacturing business. The Supplier Quality team is responsible for supplier identification, qualification, ongoing development, and corrective action. The job involves technical communication with internal and external teams, traveling to suppliers in different regions, and on-the-spot critical decision making. This role is critical to expanding our manufacturing capability while ensuring extreme reliability to make Astranis a world-class satellite manufacturing company.
- Review Astranis product drawings and specifications, give feedback for design-for-manufacturing and inspectability, and approve on behalf of manufacturing
- Generate quality clauses and statements of work for various products and commodities to ensure clear flowdown of requirements to vendors
- Review vendor documentation such as certifications and end item data packages to approve shipment of completed product
- Perform supplier audits and qualification activities to certify vendors for flight hardware production
- Establish processes to ingest process data from suppliers, and analyze quality and delivery metrics to identify trends and drive improvement as needed
- Spearhead root cause analysis and permanent countermeasures with the supplier by working with a cross-functional team of engineers and supply chain managers
- Establish phase gates at suppliers for new product introduction and production, and manage the program to success by supporting supplier activities to ramp up to full rate production
- Work with design engineers to capture requirements and ensure appropriate inspection processes are in place, at the supplier and at Astranis (incoming quality control)
- Generate forecasts and work with suppliers to ensure capacity for upcoming programs, and drive make/buy trades and supplier selection to ensure a robust supply and high quality for your product lines
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Material Science/Physics or similar technical field
- 2+ years experience in a manufacturing engineering, design engineering, quality engineering, or supply chain engineering role
- Experience with process capability studies and setting up Statistical Process Control monitoring
- Ability to work extended hours, including nights and/or weekends as needed to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Experience in aerospace manufacturing, including SMC-S-016 standard and AS9100 quality management system
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods, e.g., design of experiments, GR&R, process capability studies, statistical process control, etc.
- Has experience in failure analysis and material analysis techniques – SEM/EDX, TEM, XRF, XRD, CSAM, etc., curve tracing a plus
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (production part approval process, advanced product quality planning, first article inspection reports, etc.)
- Understanding of typical NPI and production ramp process including phase gates and milestones
All our positions offer a compensation package that includes equity, robust benefits, and bonuses.
What we offer:
What we offer:
Base pay is a single component of Astranis's total rewards package, which may also include equity in the form of incentive stock options, performance bonuses, high quality company-subsidized healthcare, disability and life insurance benefits, flexible PTO, 401(K) retirement, and free on-site catered meals.
Astranis pay ranges are informed and defined through professional-grade salary surveys and compensation data sources. The actual base salary offered to a successful candidate will additionally be influenced by a variety of factors including experience, credentials & certifications, educational attainment, skill level requirements, and the level and scope of the position.
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
All employees of Astranis are required to be vaccinated by the start of their employment. Mandatory vaccinations support our commitment to making our workplace and public facilities as safe and welcoming as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals who are not able to get the vaccine due to qualifying medical or religious reasons.