Principal Systems Engineer
The Principal Systems Engineer is considered a subject matter expert in the discipline. One demonstrates visionary & professional concepts in developing resolution to critical issues and broad design matters pertaining to the development of a variety of innovative Unmanned Systems for defense and commercial applications. The Principal Systems Engineer leads a group of other engineers in technical projects with the goal of analyzing all parts of a system to make sure each component is performing as it should. Because of the nature of the development efforts, the Principal Engineer will have a hand in a variety of stages of development including requirements definition, concept design, prototyping, detailed design, validation and verification testing.
- Lead Systems development using Model Based Systems Engineering tools (Matlab, others)
- Evaluate and modify System Simulation models to scope requirements & identify tolerances
- Create model based Systems Test strategy based on flight envelope that includes corner cases
- Provide design direction for Aircraft Instrumentation and data analysis based on Model performance
- Provide subsystem feedback and direction to Aeromechanical, Electrical, GN&C and Software
- Plan, develop and oversee requirements traceability and evolution through the development cycle
- Provides multi-layered technical expertise for next-generation initiatives
- Conceives system interfaces and prototypes
- Develops, configures and oversees the upgrade, enhancements, fixes and sustainability
- Defines system specifications, input/output and working parameters for overall compatibility
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses. Influences the shaping of future products by contributing to the framework (architecture) used across multiple products or systems
- Makes complex design decisions to meet stated and derived requirements and demonstrates expert knowledge of appropriate design, analysis and simulation tools and validation techniques
- Creates designs for success that addresses evolution and future concepts, products and/or technologies
- Work independently and provide technical supervision across disciplines
- Transfers knowledge for both professional and technical career development
- Other duties as assigned
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience)
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering is required or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 15+ years of related experience in architecting, modifying and supporting aircraft avionics & flight control systems. Preferred aerospace and/or UAV experience including aircraft avionics, ISR payloads and their interfaces
- Proficiency with C/C++ and Matlab required
- Proficiency with office software and computer based productivity tools
- Has managed requirements traceability and evolution through the system development cycle
- Demonstrated experience in providing effective weekly status of system development progress with requirements burn down
- Has successfully developed systems test plans, procedures and reports and reviewed and interpreted customer specification
- Experienced in writing Systems Safety protocols and ensuring personnel safety during field testing
- Must be able to understand all of the components of a system and how they interact with each other, making sure the system parts work correctly together and delegate to one's team when and how something needs to fixed to keep the system working smoothly
Other Qualifications & Desired Competencies
- Advanced degree is preferred
- Experienced in taking a product from concept to production with contract manufacturers is preferred
- Exposure to Guidance Navigation and Control Systems along with Modeling Simulation and Control is preferred
- Exposure to Model Based Systems Engineering is helpful but not required
- Demonstrated understanding of Aircraft Terminology is a plus as is familiarity with Python or ROS (Robot Operating System)
- Knowledge of Simulink, Ansys and Solidworks preferred
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
- Displays strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives
- Takes ownership and responsibility for current and past work products
- Is committed to learning from mistakes and driven to improve and enhance performance of oneself, others, and the company
- Has effective problem-solving, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Focuses on teamwork, collaboration and puts the success of the team above one's own interests
- Ability to work in an office and manufacturing environment (Constant)
- Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Frequent)
The salary range for this role is:$184,704 - $277,056
AeroVironment considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the location, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.