Director of Quality
ABL Space Systems
El Segundo, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
We are a tight team with big goals. That means we need all hands-on deck. At ABL, every person takes ownership of their work, and understands how it impacts our mission. Accessing space doesn’t need to be expensive, complicated, or difficult, and we’re building the systems, CONOPS, and organization to prove it. Our team has come together to pursue mastery of our domains and build something bigger than ourselves. We are proud to serve the people pushing the frontiers of space technology. Our goals are ambitious. The work is challenging. We take a deep personal responsibility for everything we make. Driven by great people and greater talent, ABL is reimagining the next generation of space launches.
Director of Quality
The Director of Quality is a key leadership role responsible for overseeing and managing the quality assurance and control functions within ABL. This position plays a proactive role in ensuring that products, processes, and services meet or exceed established quality standards and regulatory requirements. The Director of Quality will develop and implement management systems, leading quality improvement initiatives, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement throughout the operations organization.
- Provide leadership and direction to the quality organization, fostering a culture of accountability, collaboration, and continuous improvement
- Develop, implement, and maintain effective quality management systems in accordance with industry standards, regulations, and organizational requirements
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives by analyzing data, identifying trends, and implementing corrective and preventive actions. Fostering a mindset of continuous improvement across all departments
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including production, operations, engineering, and supply chain, to ensure quality considerations are integrated into all stages of product development, manufacturing, test, and operations
- Conduct regular audits and assessments to identify areas for improvement and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Ensure documentation of quality processes, procedures, and standards, and oversee compliance with these documents
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure and report on the effectiveness of quality processes and initiatives. Provide regular reports to senior management on quality performance, trends, and areas for improvement
- Develop and train quality team to enhance their skills, capabilities
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, quality management, or a related discipline)
- 8+ years of professional work experience in a related field (quality engineering, manufacturing engineering, quality, or production leadership)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or related field
- Extensive experience in quality management, with a proven track record of success in a leadership role
- Ability to lead and grow cross-functional teams
- Strong computer skills including MS Office and typical office application software; Knowledge of software and database systems
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Lead Projects: Lead & execute meaningful projects that drive the business forward
- Team Player: Collaborates and communicates effectively with stakeholders in a constantly evolving, rapid growth environment with tight deadlines
- Motivated: Self-motivated, solutions-orientated, with a bias for action
- Data-driven: You love analyzing data and using it to achieve business impact
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $190,000 - $250,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.