Software Engineering Summer 2024 Internship
ABL Space Systems
El Segundo, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL’s Interns enjoy problem solving, working in a fast-paced environment, and being an integral part of their team. There is no lack of challenging work and opportunities to learn. Interns at ABL accept being responsible for tasks and are held accountable to other engineers and leadership. If being part of a grounded team and taking on roles in the design, development, qualification, build, and flight of your hardware sounds interesting, ABL is where you need to be.
- Currently enrolled in any engineering discipline or computer science at a four-year accredited university.
- 3+ months experience of software programming or development experience (internship, laboratory, academic and personal/team project experience is applicable).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 6+ months experience of experience developing and deploying software that has been used on real-world applications and projects (internship, laboratory, academic and personal/team project experience is applicable).
- GPA of 3.5 or greater.
- Experience with verification and validation of safety and mission critical software (internship, laboratory, academic and personal/team project experience is applicable).
- Must be able to work full time, on-site at an ABL location, for 12 consecutive weeks beginning in May, June, or July 2024.
- Must be able to provide own transportation.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events, and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.